Downside School is looking to appoint a genuinely gifted, inspiring Teacher of English, to start at the beginning of the 2016/17 academic year, to teach 8 periods (0.3 timetable). Downside is an independent, co-educational boarding and day school for pupils aged 11 to 18, and one of England’s oldest and most distinguished Catholic schools. The school is situated at the foot of the Mendip Hills, twelve miles south of the city of Bath.
This post would suit either a newly qualified teacher or a suitably experienced teacher. It is essential that you will be an effective team member who can help to promote English via academic enrichment, and are willing to seek opportunities to develop teaching and learning within the subject. Candidates will be passionate about teaching pupils of the highest calibre up to and including Oxbridge entrance level. Our latest ISI inspection report states that ‘the quality of pupils’ achievement and learning is excellent’ and ‘the quality of teaching is excellent overall’. As a boarding School, all our Teachers engage fully in co-curricular activities and the boarding life of the School.
We are looking for someone who:
- Demonstrates excellent subject knowledge and a passion for English
- Has an ability to teach at all levels up to and including University entrance
- Can engender an atmosphere within lessons, which is conducive to active learning and encourages pupils to learn collaboratively
- Inspires and motivates pupils to strive for the best
- Is committed to their own professional development
- Enjoys working within a team
- Embraces our Benedictine catholic ethos
We can offer:
- Motivated, hard-working pupils
- An intellectually rewarding learning environment
- A supportive, skilled and innovative staff team
- Plenty of opportunities for CPD, and pastoral and co-curricular involvement
- Pay above the national scale
Closing date for applications: Monday 9th June 2016, by 9am
Interviews to be carried out: Friday 10th June 2016
To apply, please complete an application form which can be downloaded from ‘Working With Us’ on the School website via the button below. Please contact the recruitment email address if you require further information after reading the job pack.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Downside School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. The successful applicant will be required to undergo an enhanced DBS checked. We are an equal opportunities employer. By car, we are within 40 minutes of Bristol, 30 minutes of Bath and 15 minutes of Wells. Registered Charity Number: 1158507
Source: TheGuardian Jobs