Note: Internews is seeking candidates a for a Country Lead position for an anticipated USAID-funded media development and communications program in West Africa . Actual hiring of the position will be contingent upon receipt of funding.
GENERAL FUNCTION: The Country Lead will oversee all Internews- and subgrantee-implemented activities in Niger, providing technical, financial, and administrative leadership. He/She will work closely with local partners in country on implementation issues, including subgrantee management. He/She will be based in Niger full time for the 5-year duration of the program. Citizens of Niger or other countries in West Africa are particularly encouraged to apply.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following; other duties may be assigned:
- Liaise with USAID representatives.
- Prepare monthly reports to Chief of Party on all Internews activities.
- Maintain close contact with other Internews leads and consultants in the region.
- Develop and maintain a thorough knowledge of and relationships with media in Niger.
- Maintain contact with local government officials.
- Ensure compliance with local laws and registration requirements.
- Ensure compliance with USAID rules and regulations.
- Manage and coordinate local staff, local partner activities, and consultants in accordance with Internews’ policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints; and resolving problems.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Excellent written and spoken English and French.
- At least 5 years of experience working in Niger and/or the West Africa region.
- Experience with USAID- and/or US government-funded programs, including demonstrated skills in effectively working, coordinating and negotiating with donors, other USAID projects, U.S. embassies, and host-country governments and organizations.
- Journalism education or experience.
- Experience in monitoring, evaluating and documenting progress toward meeting project objectives; evaluating sub-contractor and grantee activities through consultative meetings, site visits and reporting requirements; working out solutions to keep activities on track; and providing overall guidance and direction to focus the activity team on achieving agreed targets and long-term strategic objectives.
- Some accounting experience.
- Relevant university degree in a relevant social, technical or political science (e.g, communications, public administration, business administration, international relations, political science, etc.).
Source: ReliefWeb Jobs