About this job
- Company & location
- CERN, Geneva, Switzerland
- Closing date
- Jun 7, 2016
- Job reference code
- Last updated
- Apr 26, 2016
As a Power electronics engineer you will be responsible for the converter transformer consolidation programme, with the objective to replace large numbers of existing transformers by modern cast-resin types. For this project, you will:
- In cooperation with the CERN physics community, define and document the required technical performance ratings for the power converter renovation.
- Conduct system design studies and computer simulations to optimize the performance of power converters.
- Draw up technical specifications for new cast-resin transformers and other power converter components, ensure the follow-up of manufacturing and testing activities in the framework of industrial contracts.
- Ensure the effective reception and commissioning tests of the cast-resin transformers, and their integration into the power converter environment.
- Integrate new control electronics into power converters.
- Participate in the operation and maintenance of power converters.
Master’s degree in the field of Power Electronics or Electrical Engineering, or equivalent.
The experience required for this post is:
- Initial experience of Power Electronics in the power level of 10 kW up to several MW.
- Initial experience of system analysis, computer modelling and design calculations for power converters.
- Initial experience of project management and industrial contract management would be an advantage.
- Experience of operation, commissioning or maintenance of power systems would be an advantage.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Analysis and modelling in power electronics: (PSIM, Matlab, etc).
- Design of high power systems (> 1 MW).
- Design of line commutated rectifiers.
- Design of switch-mode power converters.
- Commissioning, maintenance & operation of power systems.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English: ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports. Basic knowledge of French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 22.05.2016.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
*Effective 1 September 2016, CERN will introduce a new career structure, the details of which shall be published in the Staff Rules and Regulations on that date.
Read more about employment conditions
Source: CERN Courier jobs