POSITION TITLE: Finance Controller
COUNTRY PROGRAM: South Sudan
RESPONSIBLE TO: Country Director
STATUS: Full Time
SUPERVISORY CAPACITY: National Finance Staff
DATE: May 2016
ARC works with its partners and constituencies in 10 countries around the world to provide opportunities and expertise to refugees, displaced people and host communities. In support of vulnerable communities and IDPs in South Sudan, ARC manages a multi-sectoral program that includes water and sanitation, primary and secondary health care and gender-based violence prevention and response. ARC currently has program activities in Kapoeta East, Kapoeta South, Aweil, Kajo Keji, and Magwi counties. ARC is committed to delivering programs with measurable quality and lasting impact for the communities it serves.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
Responsible for oversight of all financial activities, budgets and reports for ARC’s South Sudan country program.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES / MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
- Manage day-to-day accounting functions including regular cash verification, bank and balance sheet accounts reconciliations, monthly closing, timely submission of financial report to headquarters (HQ), donors etc.
- Complete monthly balance sheet and Intercompany reviews and reconciliations.
- Promptly respond to HQ finance queries including Intercompany charges.
- Update the financial compliance dashboard monthly, note and address any significant variances.
- Monitor grant spending through production of monthly Budget Versus Actual (BVA) analysis and ensure program teams explain significant variances and propose corrective measures.
Reporting and Budgeting:
- Monthly closing, timely submission of financial reports to ARC HQ, donors, etc.
- Ensure on-time monthly submission to ARC HQ.
- Prepare timely budgets, cash requests and accounting reports.
- Monitor grant spending and projections.
- Assist in preparation of budgets for all proposals, including accurate support of budget narratives.
- Support program teams to accurately realign budgets whenever necessary.
- Provide regular and timely budget reports and analysis to the Country Director and field program managers.
- In coordination with HQ, lead the production of ARC country program annual budgets.
- Support the Country Director to produce and update donor matrixes.
- Liaise with donors on finance and budget issues as required.
- Supervise finance staff. This includes ensuring they are properly trained and know what performance expectations are.
- Carryout staff appraisals for finance staff.
- Organize and lead orientation and training session related to finance.
- Travel to the field as required ensuring systems are properly followed.
Audit and Internal Control
- Implement and administer ARC systems for internal control, compliance, and accounting data processing and financial reporting functions in accordance with donor regulations.
- Develop internal audit function and perform internal audit and reviews to ensure compliance with ARC and donor requirements.
- Maintain up-to-date, accurate accounting system, including: computer data entry and paper file system.
- Ensure local taxation law requirements are fully complied with.
- Other appropriate duties as assigned by the Country Director or HQ CFO.
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- Minimum 5 years senior finance experience required; 3 years experience working for an international NGO in complex emergency or post-conflict settings required.
- Experience in multi-cultural and multi-level programs.
- Bachelor’s degree required in Finance, Accounting, or related field; advanced degree, MBA in Finance, MSC in Finance/Accounting/Auditing, ACCA, CIMA, CPA or equivalent, preferred.
- Solid practical experience in applying accounting principles, financial systems, budget/cash flow
- Monitoring and internal account control.
- Experience with international donors and grant requirements.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft software products: Excel, Word, Outlook etc and accounting software. Serenic or Sun experience strongly preferred.
- Prior experience in conducting finance training.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills as well as leadership skills.
- Sense of humor and good interpersonal skills.
- Fluency in English required.
KEY BEHAVIORS & ABILITIES
- Ability to work with a team in an intense environment.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
Extremely flexible with the ability to cope with stressful situations.
American Refugee Committee is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. American Refugee Committee complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.*
Source: ReliefWeb Jobs